Re: Formatting a 32G or 16G SD card?

Le 04/01/2019 à 17:25, Jonathan Dowland a écrit :
On Fri, Jan 04, 2019 at 01:36:59PM +0000, Curt wrote:
But how about:

 -I When using MO disks, where partitions aren't always required, modifies
    mkfs.fat's default behavior, allowing it to write the filesystem across the
    entire, unpartitioned device (called 'superfloppy' format under some
    other OSes).

Much better.

I disagree. It misleads the reader into believing that the option applies only to magneto-optical disks, while it also applies to fixed disks and, I guess, any other storage device type.

IMO, the default behaviour does not make sense and the -I option should not even exist ; mkfs.fat should accept to create a filesystem on an entire unpartitioned device of any type by default, just like other mkfs.* do.