Re: Why choose Debian on server

On 01/04/2019 03:52 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Fri 04 Jan 2019 at 15:27:11 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
On Friday 04 January 2019 13:46:28 deloptes wrote:
Gene Heskett wrote:
I've built 3 rt kernels on the pi, takes it about 4 hours. But for
the life of me, I can't find an installer that will actually do the
pi, its boot is a separate mess. I'm sure it can be done as I also
have a pair of rock64's running armbian, and I have seen apt install
a new kernel on the one I'm playing with, twice to its u-sd card.
And installer that actually works would be nice as a make install
doesn't seem to exist in the linux-rt kernel sources I have pulled,
from the linux-rt lists announcements do not seem to have that
recipe in the makefiles.
There is a good how to I used for setting up RPI. I copied whatever it
needed to an old SD card and configured to boot from NFS server. This
made testing much easier. If I could do it I bet you can as well

Fore example see "The Boot" here
https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/39959/raspbian-boot-pr
ocess-and-the-partition-table
One HUGE problem with that page. Its not printable! What the he!! good is
it if I can't take a print out to the machine and checkmark the steps as
I go. Way to go stackexchange, not!.  But I did anyway. :)
The workaround I use is to type ^A (selects all the text), then paste
into an emacs window. You lose the fancy formatting, so sometimes it's
worth editing it a little to make things clear. Images complicate matters.

Cheers,
David.

I used cut-and-paste--Start with Raspian Boot Process and mark everything.
As it starts to run off the screen at the bottom, use the down arrow to mark the rest. Control-C. Then I pasted the test into Kate. No sweat, and I don't have to learn emacs! If you don't have Kate, you must have another simple word processor type thing.

--doug