Re: ext2 for /boot ???

On Wed 12 Sep 2018 at 17:50:13 (-0400), Michael Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 01:50:40PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > So what are the arguments against doing this (which I accept there may
> > well be)? We'll ignore the eyebrow-raising need for /boot to be
> > journalled, shall we?
>
> That it's an oddball untested configuration with no benefits at all
> seems sufficient, no?

Not really, no. I don't think I've seen any real showstoppers.
I can see it's not very practical as it may need a few workarounds,
like where dpkg should install kernels (before moving them),
taking care with kernels' names when placing them in /boot, and
setting the target for grub-install.

I was less worried about those kinds of things that about how the
EFI firmware, and also non-linux OSes like Windows, would react
to seeing files other than Boot and Microsoft in the EFI directory.

As for criticisms of ext2 for /boot, there seems to be a lot of
anecdote, confirmation bias and grasping at straws both here and
on the web, and not much light.

But testing the idea on my sole EFI system is not really possible,
so I can't see how practicable it is. Perhaps best for me to stop
doing thought experiments on it.

Cheers,
David.