Re: strangest things after upgrade from 8 to 9

On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 08:37:38AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:

> You wouldn't be installing something in /usr/local/lib that shadows the
> SONAME of a library that is in the Debian archive (as it will be if a
> binary from a Debian package is searching for it) unless the "funny
> results" are what you want.

Unless you install a library with a SONAME that is not in the Debian
archive (of your current version), you upgrade, and then you discover
(through the funny results) that the SONAME of that library in
/usr/local/lib is the same as one from the archive and is masking the
latter.

> In any case the loader isn't that easy to fool.  The cache is not the
> first place searched.

Sure, with things like rpath and runpath it is relatively easy to ensure
that a consistent set of libraries are used for a given binary.
However, in my experience, many upstream projects simply do not support
them or employ them improperly.  Of those that do attempt to support
rpath/runpath many get it wrong.  So, a user/admin is frequently left to
the chance that comes with the loader's directory search order.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez