Re: kmail and encrypted mails

On Tuesday 25 December 2018 16:25:58 John Hasler wrote:

> Gene writes:
> > [Phil Zimmermann] spent 3 years in the federal pen...
>
> Citation, please (not an old Amiga mailing list).

After reading thru the *available* info, starting with Wikipedia, one
thing stands out, and perhaps explains your insistence that it never
happened, and thats the 4+ years of total silence on the subject from
its initial release in 1991, to 1996 when the announcement that the case
had been dropped was made. Not a single dot over an i is recorded and
visible during that time frame. This obviously is why you won't accept
the evidence otherwise from the now truly ancient Amiga mailing lists
(if they even exist as an archive today, I don't know and don't have a
quarter to call anyone else who might care) where many megabytes of
information about the case was recorded, as was his arrest and jailing.
Another possible source of contradicting info was that a couple of the
Amiga magazines of the day covered it quite well from the editors desks,
but 25 yo copies of that, which may be moldering away yet in some
enthusiasts basement, and very few of those are available to me since my
Amiga user days ended forever in 2004 a couple years after I retired. I
basicly switched to linux with Red-Hat-5.0 in 1998. Never, except for
buying a road computer, a lappy with xp on it that got wiped and
Mandrake installed a couple weeks later, have I owned a winderz box.

You forget John, that the old, unwritten law about only the winners get
to write the history books is still a basic truism, same as TANSTAAFL,
it cannot be repealed. And Phil is a winner. What I see since I lived
thru it, is that the unpleasant parts of that time period have now been
scrubbed from the internets more accessable places. So be it. But at the
time, he was incarcerated, and I made a small, $100, contribution to his
defense fund, in 92 IIRC. I was at the time, fairly newly married, and
had just made the final payment to the IRS, cleaning up the 5.5 digit
mess my 2nd left me with when she left in '85.

You, John and Thomas, can believe what you read on Wikipedia, I can't
stop you, but I was also there, and I remember it differently.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)