kmail and encrypted mails

Hi folks,

merry christmas!

Yesterday I stumbled over a small understanding problem.  I wanted to send an
encrypted mail to a friend. Of course I got his public key.

But when I want to create the mail, I got stuck. Problem: I have activated,
that all encrypted mails shall also be encrypted by my own key, but the system
says, I have no own key.

Ok, I could create one, but in fact, I already have a key (this mail is signed
with it), Here is my problem:

When there is already a gpg-key crerated, why do I need another key for self
encrypted mails? And do I need really 2 keys ( = 2 key pairs)?

IMHO kmail could use the already existent key from me, but kmail does it only
accept as a "signing key". That looks strange and is not logically in my mind.

Maybe someone can tell me, what I am thinking wrong.

Thanks in andvance and have a happy xmas!

Best

Hans