Re: kmail and encrypted mails

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 11:48:16AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Gene writes:
> > I haven't played with pgp since they jailed P.Z., and I've always
> > looked at anything newer than 2.62 as possibly equipt with a back door
> > of some sort, one of the unstated conditions for allowing his release.
>
> I'd like to see some evidence that Zimmermann was jailed.  I was paying
> attention to such things at the time and I recall no mention of an
> arrest.  There was a criminal investigation but no charges were ever
> filed and eventually both the 6th and the 9th courts ruled that
> cryptographic software source code is protected speech.

That corresponds to my memories of that time (including the workaround
for the export ban which involved sending books around and scanning
them at the other side of the pond).

> In any case gpg is not pgp.

Most definitely not. It is explicitly designed to be interoperable with
PGP (and since PGP was first, it set the standards), so it could be seen
as being a close relative, but it is an independent implementation.

Cheers
-- tomás