Installing Java 8 on a Google Compute Debian (Jessie) instance

I'm endeavoring to get Java 8 onto our development instance, so that the Tomcat environment there matches that of our cluster nodes, and apg-get is not cooperating.

This particular instance is a Bitnami SVN/Trac server, with Tomcat 8 added to it, and running independently of the Apache server that came with SVN and Trac.

I tried what was given at
https://stackoverflow.com/q/50919305/3654526
and it didn't work. Even after doing the recommended
sudo apt-get install dirmngr
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys EEA14886
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jdk -y --allow-unauthenticated

I still get
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 openjdk-8-jdk : Depends: openjdk-8-jre (= 8u171-b11-1~bpo8+1) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: openjdk-8-jdk-headless (= 8u171-b11-1~bpo8+1) but it is not going to be installed

which is what I was getting before.

--
James H. H. Lampert