Re: Installing Java 8 on a Google Compute Debian (Jessie) instance

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 10:16:25AM -0800, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
> I'm endeavoring to get Java 8 onto our development instance, so that the
> Tomcat environment there matches that of our cluster nodes, and apg-get is
> not cooperating.
>
> This particular instance is a Bitnami SVN/Trac server, with Tomcat 8 added
> to it, and running independently of the Apache server that came with SVN and
> Trac.
>
> I tried what was given at
> https://stackoverflow.com/q/50919305/3654526
> and it didn't work. Even after doing the recommended
> > sudo apt-get install dirmngr
> > sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys EEA14886

I don't understand why this is necessary.

> > sudo apt-get update
> > sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jdk -y --allow-unauthenticated

Based on the rest of your output (which I did not repeat here), it looks
like what you need to do is this:

apt-get install -t jessie-backports openjdk-8-jdk

The --allow-unauthenticated option is dangerous.  You do not need it
here and in general you should not use it.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez