Re: printers

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 07:44:29PM +0000, mick crane wrote:
I have a debian buster PC that works as a print server. I can send files to it from windows

How? Do you have samba and the windows machines print via smb, or are they printing via ipp?

I have another debian buster PC that I sometimes fiddle about on and I'd like to type on that.
"lpr filename"
I don't want the cups sever on it just to print.

You should be able to do that with just the cups-client package and setting /etc/cups/client.conf to contain "ServerName whatever" where "whatever" is the hostname or IP of your print server. If that doesn't work it's likely that the print server isn't set to accept remote connections (the windows machines wouldn't need that if they're printing via smb).

It's also possible to make this all magically work via network broadcasts, but I find it simpler & more reliable to just configure client.conf in a single print server situaton.