Unpacking a large zipfile, was Re: librecad

On Sat 08 Dec 2018 at 15:01:11 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> Thats what I'm embarking on doing, building master from src. but the zip
> seems to be a problem, mc is unpacking it and copying to ~/src, doubling
> the 180 some megs of the zip, but with mc piping both, its watch paint
> dry slow, about 40 kilobytes/sec of 360+ megs of src. So its not yet
> done creating a source tree from the zip.  About 85% done when I last
> took a peek a minute ago.

Unpacking a zipfile containing a large number of files with mc is a
really bad idea. For example, a 5245 file zip with 199 subdirectories
took unzip about 34 seconds to unpack. mc took over 16 minutes.
Why? Because it ran over 5245 uzip processes, one after the other.
Stick to using it to inspect zipfiles and perhaps unzipping just the
odd file or two.

Cheers,
David.