Re: librecad

On Saturday 08 December 2018 08:38:15 John Hasler wrote:

> Gene writes:
> > LinuxCNC depends on a low latency IRQ response.
>
> We understand all that, and I understand and agree with the "If it
> aint broke don't fix it" philosophy that leads to running "obsolete"
> computers and software in machine controls.  What does it have to do
> with the machine you run your CAD software on?

Nothing John, except the vertical, even seemingly leaning toward the
beginner, learning curve to really put that software to productive use.
I've started to do something in freecad several times, I don't have it
here anymore, but the lack of a plainly marked, multiple step undo gets
me into a dead end box that results in a quit w/o save every time. Maybe
its there, but I've not found it. If I build a tool changer for the
biggest mill I have, I expect that I'll need to use its facility to
couple moving parts to see if there's any interference between stuff
just to remove the mistakes I'll no doubt make if I just write the gcode
to generate the thing one part at a time.

Unfortunately, even the src.zip has disappeared from github.
But poking around I did find FreeCAD-master.zip, and its copying to ~/src
right now. Looks like a pretty long list of dependencies from the wiki
on building it. Couple pages if printed.  So we'll see if its still
buildable on wheezy. And this is probably going to be a long process. So
I'll send this and advise success/fail later.

Thanks John.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)