Re: Non-GUI Arduino IDE ?

Jason writes:

On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 05:05:30PM -0000, Dan Purgert wrote:
> Jason wrote:
> > Does anyone know if there is a console based Arduino IDE available for
> > Debian? I am interested in making a portable programmer that could be
> > taken out on a job to edit and upload Arduino programs on site, without
> > messing with a mouse.
>
> Don't know of any IDEs for the commandline, but you can always use
> avrdude straight from the commandline to handle writing the compiled hex
> to the thing.

And what could I use to create the compiled hex?

Hello,

I was able to get to run a blinking program on an Arduino Nano v3 with the following codes (two files, .hex and .o file are generated as part of the process):

-- BEGIN Makefile --
# depends: avr-libc, avrdude, gcc-avr

build:
	avr-gcc -Os -DF_CPU=16000000UL -mmcu=atmega328p -c -o led.o led.c
	avr-gcc -mmcu=atmega328p led.o -o led
	avr-objcopy -O ihex -R .eeprom led led.hex

upload:
	avrdude -F -V -c arduino -p ATMEGA328P -P /dev/ttyUSB0 \
					-b 57600 -U flash:w:led.hex
-- END Makefile --

-- BEGIN led.c --
#include <avr/io.h>
#include <util/delay.h>

#define BLINK_DELAY_MS 2000

void main()
{
	/* PB5(SCK) = 17 = D13 = LED3 */

	/* set pin 5 of PORTB for output*/
	DDRB |= _BV(DDB5);

	while(1) {
		/*
		 * _BV: Bit mask for port: /usr/lib/avr/include/avr/iom328p.h
		 *                         /usr/lib/avr/include/avr/sfr_defs.h
		 */

		/* set pin 5 high to turn led on */
		PORTB |= _BV(PORTB5);
		_delay_ms(BLINK_DELAY_MS);

		/* set pin 5 low to turn led off */
		PORTB &= ~_BV(PORTB5);
		_delay_ms(BLINK_DELAY_MS);
	}
}
-- END led.c --

It is invoked as follows

$ make build
$ make upload

and assumes that the Arduino is recognized under /dev/ttyUSB0.

HTH
Linux-Fan