Re: Non-GUI Arduino IDE ?

On 07.12.18 16:42, Jason wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 05:05:30PM -0000, Dan Purgert wrote:
> > Jason wrote:
> > > Does anyone know if there is a console based Arduino IDE available for
> > > Debian? I am interested in making a portable programmer that could be
> > > taken out on a job to edit and upload Arduino programs on site, without
> > > messing with a mouse.
> >
> > Don't know of any IDEs for the commandline, but you can always use
> > avrdude straight from the commandline to handle writing the compiled hex
> > to the thing.
>
> And what could I use to create the compiled hex?

The Arduino IDE uses the GNU toolchain behind the scenes. There are
people who use the toolchain on the commandline, eschewing the GUI.
Since the AVR crosscompiler and binutils will already be installed with
the IDE, it is just a matter of editing sourcefiles with your favourite
text editor, then running "make". If the IDE doesn't produce a makefile,
instead using something nonstandard, you could look at the upthread
link to Arduino-Makefile.

As I program AVRs directly (without bootloader), using avrdude, I had to
check the manpage to see if it is compatible with the Arduino
bootloader:

» The Arduino (which is very similar to the STK500 1.x) is supported via
   its own programmer type specification ``arduino''.
«

That would presumably merely use a laptop USB port to interface to the
Arduino target board.

It looks pretty straightforward, but reading a few of the hits for a google
of "arduino gnu toolchain", it seems that after editing the source with
e.g. vim or emacs, the Arduino IDE itself can be commandline invoked
without any GUI:

» Alternatively, if any of the following command line options is given,
  no graphical interface will be shown and instead a one-off verify
  (compile) or upload will be done.
«

https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/blob/master/build/shared/manpage.adoc

(I think that link has already been cited upthread.)

Erik