Re: Latest kernel gives blank screen when it boots

Frank McCormick composed on 2018-12-01 18:10 (UTC-0500):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> Frank McCormick composed on 2018-12-01 17:19 (UTC-0500):

>       I purged it but had to reinstall as the machine would only boot to
> a command line without it and with nomodeset.

You're confusing me. With nomodeset you should expect crippled or worse X. Without nomodeset you
should expect good. Good X with Intel GPU requires either modesetting driver included within the
X server, or the unofficially deprecated xf86-video-intel driver provided by the
xserver-xorg-video-intel package. Nomodeset is for rescue operations, proprietary non-Intel
video drivers, and some ancient hardware.

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/

> What's your
>> Xorg.0.log report, or output from 'inxi -Gxx'?

> frank@franklin:~$ inxi -Gxx
> Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics vendor:
> Lenovo driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0
>             chip ID: 8086:0042
>             Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: intel resolution:
> 1920x1080~60Hz
>             OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Desktop v: 2.1
> Mesa 18.2.6 direct render: Yes
> frank@franklin:~$

This suggests you are booting without nomodeset, and xserver-xorg-video-intel is installed, so X
is working, but something else is wrong. Please show Xorg.0.log via <https://paste.debian.net/>
or use cmdline utility pastebinit and provide URL.

Which DM is configured (login manager/greeter)? (cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager)

Is Plymouth installed? If yes, try disabling it. (append plymouth.enable=0 to cmdline)

Is Fedora working correctly?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/