Re: [OT?] home partition vs. home directory

On Fri 30 Nov 2018 at 12:23:11 (-0500), Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 12:14:40PM -0500, Default User wrote:
> >    I often see people recommend a separate home partition.
> >    But why would (or not) that be better than just a home directory within
> >    the root directory?
> >    Wouldn't one less partition be simpler, and therefore (all other things
> >    being equal) better?
> >    Opinions, please.
>
> The main reasons for a separate home partition are to share it between
> multiple installations in a multi-boot scenario and/or to allow for easy
> re-installation of the OS while preserving everything under /home.

I would agree with that; all my systems are multiboot for periods of
time (after new Debian releases), usually with consecutive releases,
as I flip back and forth between two root filesystems.

But another reason for a separate home partition is that I encrypt it
in case the computer is lost or stolen. I don't feel that the methods
available for encrypting the entire system are routine enough to
bother with presently.

Cheers,
David.