Re: [OT?] home partition vs. home directory

On Fri 30 Nov 2018 at 11:23:57 (-1000), Joel Roth wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
> > Cliff's Notes Version Part I: Flaky USB connections are an important
> > factor! An accidentally disconnected USB connection can cause data to
> > become *unknowingly* redirected back to the original directory on the
> > primary partition. That situation can then potentially lead to loss of
> > e.g. downloaded data if a user is not always 100% aware of where data
> > is actually residing at all times.....
>
> I've had problems with flakey connections with external USB
> drives for years. These problems have occurred with various
> drives and on two different laptops. The usual result is a
> disk operation such as 'ls' fails with the message
> "input/output error". This usually happens after
> the drive has been idle for some hours.

Hm, with poor connections, I find that it's usually the laptop
moving about which disturbs the cable and causes the problem.
After idle periods, I just get the message, when it wakes up:
 usb 4-5: reset high-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci
which I assume may be because the USB was in some sort of
powersaving mode.

> In my experience, the only case where writes went into
> directory of the mount point (and not the intended
> partition) was when the partition was not mounted. Once an
> I/O error occurs, at least in my system, no further read or
> write operations to the mount point will succeed.

I've never had the mount points overwritten, perhaps because
of how I set their permissions:
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Apr 11  2018 cdrom0/
and I
# touch -r cdrom0   all the mount points ...
so it's easy to see when they're in use as the differing
permission/ownership/timestamp sticks out.

It also sounds as if you have   ,errors=remount-ro,
set as an option in your /etc/fstab entries so that any
error immediately write-protects the partition; though
I didn't know that prevents reading as well. Does it?

Cheers,
David.