Re: [OT?] home partition vs. home directory

On Friday, November 30, 2018 08:32:23 PM Ric Moore wrote:
> On 11/30/18 3:47 PM, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
> > Having lately been successfully "mount -B" ing my
> > /var/cache/apt/archives hoard, I can now easily see having those
> > (~/Documents, ~/Downloads, et al) each remaining as their own separate
> > directories on a secondary partition. Fstab would then be asked to
> > step-by-step put each of them to work as a singular entry connected up
> > at each reboot...
>
> Cindy, I advocate using /opt for that very reason. I leave /home/user
> alone. I create /opt/user directory and fill it with the usual
> /home/user directories, such as Documents, Downloads, Music, Videos and
> the like. Those directories contain ther actual files and are safe if
> root partition gets clobbered or the OS becomes too wonky from
> installing all the things. CLEAN re-install also cleans screwed up
> config files in the home dot-files/directories, that you really do not
> want to keep. . I've done this since the Caldera (pre-RedHAT IPO) era.
> "Nary a burp in the barrel." as they used to say in Popular Electronics.

Why bother with /opt -- iirc, /opt is for optional software, not user data.

I simply create a top level directory (often using my initials, e.g. /abc for
my user data  (~/Documents, ~/Downloads, et al -- i.e., /abc/Documents, ...).

/opt may get filled with stuff that I don't want to treat as (my) user data.