Re: issues with stretch, issue 2 from many

On Thu 29 Nov 2018 at 15:17:03 -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 08:10:43PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> > How does ~/.xsessionrc assume such importance over ~/.xsession in the
> > grand scheme of X things?
>
> Because it's the only file that's guaranteed to be read no matter what
> kind of crazy nonstandard X session the user invokes (GNOME, I'm looking
> at you).
>
> Therefore, when writing a wiki page for the least knowledgeable end user,
> it is the advice that I put *first*, with the description that this is
> the *simplest* way of doing things.
>
> Then I put the traditional "or .xsession but it only works if you ___" at
> the end.  And I indicate that this is a more advanced way of doing things.
> Therefore, users who self-identify as "advanced" will try that.  Whether
> they are *actually* advanced is a different story, but they have been
> given both choices, and appropriate descriptions and warnings.

So the page is about ~/xsessionrc and GNOME and gdm3. The title doesn't
reflect that. Nor does the (non-existent) page description.

  > kind of crazy nonstandard X session the user invokes (GNOME, I'm
  > looking at you).

indictes an agenda ("...crazy nonstandard...") which might be worthy of
addressing, but the page does little to indicate how a user would handle
a standard Debian Xsession and startx with ~/.xsession.

--
Brian.