Re: issues with stretch, issue 2 from many

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 08:10:43PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> How does ~/.xsessionrc assume such importance over ~/.xsession in the
> grand scheme of X things?

Because it's the only file that's guaranteed to be read no matter what
kind of crazy nonstandard X session the user invokes (GNOME, I'm looking
at you).

Therefore, when writing a wiki page for the least knowledgeable end user,
it is the advice that I put *first*, with the description that this is
the *simplest* way of doing things.

Then I put the traditional "or .xsession but it only works if you ___" at
the end.  And I indicate that this is a more advanced way of doing things.
Therefore, users who self-identify as "advanced" will try that.  Whether
they are *actually* advanced is a different story, but they have been
given both choices, and appropriate descriptions and warnings.