Re: issues with stretch, issue 2 from many

On Wed 28 Nov 2018 at 20:18:25 +0000, Brian wrote:

> On Tue 27 Nov 2018 at 12:04:37 -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > My understanding is .xsessionrc was created in order to give users a
> > modicum of control over their own lives if they happen to use GNOME.
>
> It doesn't say that in #411639.
>
> [...]

However:

https://wiki.debian.org/Xsession says (referring to ~/xsessionrc)

 There are typically three kinds of commands you may wish to use in this file:

   * You may place environment variable definitions here, directly: export SOME_VAR="some value"

This was the reason for ~/.xsessionrc coming into existence.

   * You may dot in some other POSIX shell configuration file: if [ -r ~/.profile ]; then . ~/.profile; fi

A user can, but ~/xsessionrc wasn't invented for that. ~/.xsession was.

   * You may directly run X client programs: xclock -geometry +0+0 &

A user can, but ~/.xsessionrc definitely wasn't devised for that. OTOH,
~/.xsession was.

How does ~/.xsessionrc assume such importance over ~/.xsession in the
grand scheme of X things?

--
Brian