Re: APT: suggested packages are required?

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 02:10:31AM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
On 29/11/18 2:01 AM, Michael Stone wrote:
On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 12:45:49PM +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 11:34:54AM +0000, David Griffith wrote:
I just noticed an odd behavior of APT when I tried installing
inform6-compiler and inform6-library.  I used to think that
recommended packages would be mentioned at installation, but
wouldn't be added unless you explicitly asked for them.  So, I tried
to install the compiler and library on a headless machine and APT
decided that it had to also install a zcode interpreter and picked
one that wanted to pull in all sorts of graphical libraries.  Is
that really necessary?

By default, recommended packages are installed (suggested packages
aren't; this is different from "recommended"). You can change that
default. For example, I have, in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/95no-recommends:

 APT::Install-Recommends no;

Or use aptitude, and make decisions interactively about what gets
installed.

Presumably you're talking about the full-screen interactive interface to
aptitude

clearly