APT: suggested packages are required?

I just noticed an odd behavior of APT when I tried installing inform6-compiler and inform6-library. I used to think that recommended packages would be mentioned at installation, but wouldn't be added unless you explicitly asked for them. So, I tried to install the compiler and library on a headless machine and APT decided that it had to also install a zcode interpreter and picked one that wanted to pull in all sorts of graphical libraries. Is that really necessary?

Also, why is there no "inform6" package that simply installs both the compiler and standard library?

--
David Griffith
dave@661.org