Re: Looking for a "friendly" e-mail service

On Monday 26 November 2018 23:04:48 Erik Christiansen wrote:

> On 26.11.18 21:12, Celejar wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 09:37:21 -0500
> >
> > Mark Neidorff <mark@neidorff.com> wrote:
> > > Now, I don't like the webmail interfaces and the limited storage
> > > for old
> >
> > Limited storage? Who - big or small player - offers unlimited
> > storage for old emails?
>
> There are various values for old and limited, in reality. When I'm out
> of town for a fortnight, there's usually 1500 to 2k emails piled up on
> the ISP's mailhost. Fortunately only a small subset of them are over 1
> MB in size.
>
> It is fortunately rare for ISPs to block multi-megabyte emails now
> that we've left the old millennium behind, as I'm in the process of
> building, and local authorities, building surveyors, fire authorities,
> etc., mostly issue their documents by email now.
>
> Still, a few hundred MB usually does it for the fortnight, and the
> longer absence over the new year is an email drought, so size would be
> similar.
>
> Those who leave read mail on the ISP's mailhost, due to accessing from
> multiple client hosts, are at greater risk of exceeding their quota,
> and would naturally look for some extra, I figure.
>
> Erik

Thats why I store my old mail on my own machine. I just checked my inbox,
and the oldest email there that is actually dated, some don't have dates,
is from 12/11/01.

As machines get replaced, or hard drives get full or whatever and get
replaced, that email corpus gets copied to the new machine or drive,
so I have a good email history right at my fingertips.

It can be at times a valuable resource.

Speaking of old hard drives, one of the first 1T drives in this machine is
according to smartctl:

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033  100  100  036  Pre-fail  Always - 25
9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032  012  012  000  Old_age   Always - 77192

That drive worried me with that re-allocated count at about 5k hours,
the first time I looked at it with the then brand new smartctl.  So
I trolled thru the Seagate site and found an iso file with new firmware
for it, and installed it on the drive by rebooting to that iso on a CD.

That upped its read/write speed by about 50%, to over 130 meg/second,
and didn't lose a single bit.

That drive now has 77192 hours on it. Thats now 8.80584074835 years of
spinning essentially 24/7/365.25. And it is not giving any indication
its anywhere near the end of its life. In the life of some drives I've
had, thats equ to an eon or so.

Does anyone have a drive with more hours on it?

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)