Re: how to backup to an encrypted usb drive? [OT: rsync metadata]

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 09:50:12AM -0800, Rick Thomas wrote:

> >> Don’t the options for rsync -aAHX preserve all the metadata?  Is there something besides
> >
> > Yep, there is at least one thing rsync looses along the way:
> >
> > # chattr +i /bin/ping
> > # rsync -aHAX /bin/ping /tmp
> > # lsattr /bin/ping
> > ----i--------e--- /bin/ping
> > # lsattr /tmp/ping
> > -------------e--- /tmp/ping
>
> Fascinating…
> 1) Are there any other extended attributes that are not copied by
> rsync? Or is there something special about “immutable”.

Rsync should ignore any extended attribute listed at chattr(1) save for
'e'.

> 2) Is this a bug or a feature?

Rather a lack of implementation. Some may consider it a bug, but rsync
behaved like this for may years - see [1], for example.

> Should there be a bg report filed on this phenomenon?

Probably. The question is - who's going to write a patch that implements
such feature?

> If not, should it be documented in the rsync(1) man page?  Does that need a bug report?

Yes, definitely. But then again, chattr(1) is it's filesystem-specific.
In Debian it's customary to document cornercases in README.Debian, not in manpage.

Reco

[1] https://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2011-February/026039.html