Re: Install & restore backup: what if I use LVM?

> On 19 Nov 2018, at 12:35, Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 07:01:07AM +0100, solitone wrote:
>> When I was playing with my disk's partition table I messed it up and
>> lost everything. It was a dual boot system with macOS and Debian.
>>
>> Thanks to the back2l utility I have a full backup of Debian. Now I
>> would reinstall it and recover all the backed up files. However, I
>> didn’t use LVM and now I would. In this case, would the adjustments
>> needed from the original configuration be difficult?
>
> This rather depends on how back2l functions. I can't find a reference to
> it in the Debian package repositories. Can you point us at a URI that
> describes it?

It simply results in a backup of the filesystem archived in a tarball. Once I reinstall Debian, I can restore the original configuration pulling in the original version of my files from that tarball. But this would work if the configuration were the same. If I install with LVM something would be different in terms of configuration, so some original config files wouldn’t be right, and I’d need some manual adjustement. The point is: how much?