Re: that other OS

On 17/11/2018 01:00, Brian wrote:
On Fri 16 Nov 2018 at 18:36:01 +0000, mick crane wrote:

On 2018-11-16 17:29, Brian wrote:
On Fri 16 Nov 2018 at 12:01:39 -0500, Doug wrote:

On 11/16/2018 11:32 AM, mick crane wrote:

I use windows I'm not ashamed to say that.
I noticed tho that there is a new message
"Windows is a service..."
This is that thing where they want people to pay a monthly fee to use
the OS, like adobe apparently did with their photo suite.
Just saying, prepare for stampede of ex windows users.

Are they going to send an "upgrade" that will stop Windows from
working if
you don't subscribe?

The original post gave no reliable references; it looks like
speculation.
You are now speculating on the speculation.

I almost never use Windows, altho the text reader program that I
have used
for years on Windows is far superior to anything available for Linux.

Didn't take long to take an off-topic post even further off-topic and
for
a reply to swallow the bait.

well I think it's relevant, I've contributed financially to some projects
and if I had more I would contribute more but basically I am getting loads
of excellent software for free

1. I am a Debian user.
2. I do not have a trumpet to blow.
3. I would prefer list posts to deal with the Debian ecosystem.

(not answering directly to the above, which I agree with, just picked a random message to join the thread).

If one is really so inclined to follow buzzwords, Debian as a FOSS project is a "system as a service" and has been like every other FOSS software project for much longer than any other software. The difference being that the user can choose freely to contribute monthly, yearly, or at whatever interval is convenient to her/him, pick which part of the software he feels like paying for, and can contribute in other ways than giving money (time, help, patch, bug reports...). This is "software as a service" at its best and true meaning. And by contributing the user doesn't merely comply with a legal obligation to pay an arbitrary price for the use of a product, but expresses gratitude and support to what is important to him, and gives the product its real value by supporting and using it. I love "Debian as a service" and FOSS in general, and I try to express it as often as possible, willingly and freely.

Software as an extortionate alienating limited lease is what Microsoft and others are trying to entrap the user with, no service rendered.

Cheers.