Re: gnome-software is using up my internet data

	Hi.

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 01:27:39PM -0500, Celejar wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 06:56:19 -0500
> Anil Duggirala <anilduggirala@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > Ive got 2 questions:
> > 1. The process gnome-software is downloading up of 10 MB every time (or many times) I connect to the internet, this is killing my internet data quota.
> > Can someone tell me how to disable this, what exactly is gnome-software doing (it does not seem to be searching for updates)?
> >
> > 2. Is there a way to set a metered connection in debian so every time I connect using usb tethering the system knows not to use more data than completely necessary at the time?
> > Or every time I use a particular connection it know not to use more data than necessary?
>
> That would seem to be quite a tall order - network access is requested
> by individual applications, so how would a system-wide framework have a
> way to tell how important each individual application's network access
> request is?

net_cls cgroup controller. QoS, traffic accounting, shaping, outbound
connection control - you name it, it can be built on top of it.

> There would have to be some framework under which each
> network access request would have some sort of priority description
> attached to it. I doubt such a thing exists.

It does exist, but it's unused currently (to my best knowledge).

systemd may be controversial, but they got one thing right - per-service
resource control. And that includes so-called 'user services' that GNOME
programs start left and right and all other.

So the framework is there. The problem is - they left the implementation
of the policy of the user ☺

> An application firewall might be useful here, but I have no experience
> with such them.

You're thinking of user traffic accounting.

Reco