gnome-software is using up my internet data

Hello,
Ive got 2 questions:
1. The process gnome-software is downloading up of 10 MB every time (or many times) I connect to the internet, this is killing my internet data quota.
Can someone tell me how to disable this, what exactly is gnome-software doing (it does not seem to be searching for updates)?

2. Is there a way to set a metered connection in debian so every time I connect using usb tethering the system knows not to use more data than completely necessary at the time?
Or every time I use a particular connection it know not to use more data than necessary?

thanks very much,