Re: gnome-software is using up my internet data

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 06:56:19 -0500
Anil Duggirala <anilduggirala@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Hello,
> Ive got 2 questions:
> 1. The process gnome-software is downloading up of 10 MB every time (or many times) I connect to the internet, this is killing my internet data quota.
> Can someone tell me how to disable this, what exactly is gnome-software doing (it does not seem to be searching for updates)?
>
> 2. Is there a way to set a metered connection in debian so every time I connect using usb tethering the system knows not to use more data than completely necessary at the time?
> Or every time I use a particular connection it know not to use more data than necessary?

That would seem to be quite a tall order - network access is requested
by individual applications, so how would a system-wide framework have a
way to tell how important each individual application's network access
request is? There would have to be some framework under which each
network access request would have some sort of priority description
attached to it. I doubt such a thing exists.

An application firewall might be useful here, but I have no experience
with such them.

Celejar