Re: how to backup to an encrypted usb drive?

On 11/15/18, Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:43:30AM -0500, Lee wrote:
>> implying you keep lots of backups.  For how long?
>
> Depends. Backups of your 1-2 GB of root/var can be kept for a year,
> given weekly backups and a typical multi TB NAS.
> Private user's data can be measured in terabytes, so keeping more than a
> couple of backups is problematic.

There we go :)   You've been talking enterprise grade backup standards - right?

Which is fine & maybe someday I'll get there.  But right now simple,
easy & blatantly obvious something worked or no is more important to
me.

>> If I ever put debian on something I don't turn off then cron is an
>> option.  But right now I've got debian on a laptop that I don't leave
>> running 24x7
>
> anacron is the answer for that. It even takes into the account whenever
> the laptop is on battery or on AC.

another good reference.

Thanks for all your help!
Lee