Re: Piggybacking: Firefdox is using up my Internet bandwidth, autostarts videos even though autoplay is off (was:Re: gnome-software is using up my internet data

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:12:07AM -0500, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> I wanted to try piggybacking on this in hopes that Roberto (or someone else
> reading this thread might be familiar with how to solve a somewhat similar
> problem in Firefox.  (And sorry for the top posting, and, if nobody responds,
> I'll (eventually) start a new thread.
>
> I use Firefox 52.n on Wheezy.  I have the autoplay feature turned off, but
> quite often (I'm not sure it is every time) when I go to a youtube page, the
> video starts playing (even with autoplay turned off -- by that I mean the
> little button / slider on the youtube page).
>
> Does someone here know how to prevent this?

Some settings to check (in about:config):

media.autoplay.enabled -> false
media.block-autoplay-until-in-foreground -> true (probably not necessary
if you have the above setting)
media.default_volume -> 0.0 (or something suitably low so as to not be
obnoxious when you do start a video playing)

There are probably others, but those seem to do what I need (which
sounds similar to what you describe).

Regards,

-Roberto

--