Re: What is the best way to install vim 8.1 on stretch?

Shane Dev wrote:

> > So, I can't offer a better suggestion than those already offered
> > (rebuild from source package or install with pinning, though I would
> > personally opt for rebuilding the package from buster).  However, I am
> > quite curious what new features are in vim 8.1 that would cause you to
> > go to all the trouble.
> >

> https://www.vim.org/vim-8.1-released.php - The main new feature of Vim 8.1
> is support for running a terminal in a Vim window
>
> but I am having second thoughts after reading the dire warnings in
> https://wiki.debian.org/AptPreferences -
>
> <!> When pinning, you must ensure compatibility of packages by yourself
> since Debian does not guarantee it. Note that pinning is completely
> optional, and Debian does not encourage pinning without thorough
> consideration.
>
> /!\ Seriously, don't do this. Doing this will break Debian and leave you
> with a system that doesn't work and can't be fixed. Use Backports instead!

There are ways of using pinning safely, but they really aren't
obvious.

The most important bit is to understand the priority, which is
magic.

They are explained, at length, in man apt_preferences. The
highlights:

    P >= 1000
       causes a version to be installed even if this constitutes a downgrade of the package

    990 <= P < 1000
       causes a version to be installed even if it does not come from the target release, unless the installed version is more recent

    500 <= P < 990
       causes a version to be installed unless there is a version available belonging to the target release or the installed version is more recent

    100 <= P < 500
       causes a version to be installed unless there is a version available belonging to some other distribution or the installed version is more recent

    0 < P < 100
       causes a version to be installed only if there is no installed version of the package

    P < 0
       prevents the version from being installed

Overall, if you just want one package that's already in Debian?
Install the dependencies (build-dep), get the later package, and
see if you can rebuild it yourself. There will probably be a new
library or two.

-dsr-