Re: What is the best way to install vim 8.1 on stretch?

So, I can't offer a better suggestion than those already offered
(rebuild from source package or install with pinning, though I would
personally opt for rebuilding the package from buster).  However, I am
quite curious what new features are in vim 8.1 that would cause you to
go to all the trouble.

https://www.vim.org/vim-8.1-released.php - The main new feature of Vim 8.1 is support for running a terminal in a Vim window

but I am having second thoughts after reading the dire warnings in https://wiki.debian.org/AptPreferences -

<!> When pinning, you must ensure compatibility of packages by yourself since Debian does not guarantee it. Note that pinning is completely optional, and Debian does not encourage pinning without thorough consideration.

/!\ Seriously, don't do this. Doing this will break Debian and leave you with a system that doesn't work and can't be fixed. Use Backports instead!