Re: Your choice of Virtualization Software

	Hi.

Please do not hijack the thread, start your own.

On Sun, Nov 04, 2018 at 03:32:25AM +0000, D&P Dimov wrote:
> I need to install and run Windows 10 as a virtual machine on the latest Debian Stable (9.5). I would much, much rather use a free (as in freedom) GPL-licensed software doe that.
>
> (I know, I see the irony too, of running the definition of proprietary software but still insisting on GPL for the virtual machine software... But it's better than dualbooting, as it'll allow me to use Windows even less this way!).

QEMU. Your first and last choice for this. If something cannot be
launched in QEMU - it's not worth your time anyway.
Don't go with Virtualbox, it's an Oracle software. Not many people can
stomach *that* unless paid to do it.

> But I have very little experience installing and working with a virtual machine (once installed Windz7 with VirtualBox) and have little support from people around me (our "computer person" is great and willing to help, though also has very little experience with this).

These things are learnt fast.

> >From this Debian wiki (https://wiki.debian.org/SystemVirtualization#Open_Source_solutions), I am guessing Qemu or KVM, as they are recommended for laptops and desktops.

It's the same thing. KVM is a variant of QEMU which uses CPU
acceleration for emulated processor instructions.

> In your experience, is any one of these two any better, i.e., easier to install and get to work, and allows the virtual OS to run fast and without freezing or misbehaving? Or is there another one not listed there you'd recommend?

I suggest installing virt-manager, which is a GUI frontend to libvirt,
which can launch QEMU. While being RedHat and GNOME software at the same
time, it does pretty good job of hiding all those pesky implementation
details.

Reco