Re: Sound suddenly not working.

On Sun, 4 Nov 2018 02:07:16 +0300 Abdullah Ramazanoğlu said:

> I find Audacious quite better than timidity for playing midi pieces.

And a small audacious/midi how to (just in case someone needs it):
http://redmine.audacious-media-player.org/boards/1/topics/1143?r=1610

"The MIDI plugin requires some configuration before it will work. To get to the
settings for it, go to File menu -> Preferences -> Plugins page -> Input tab.
Select "AMIDI-Plug (MIDI Player)" in the list of plugins and click on the
Preferences button at the bottom.

This will bring up a new window. Select FluidSynth in the backend list.

Now go to the FluidSynth tab on the left. There will be a list (probably empty)
of SoundFont files. You can use whatever SoundFont you like, but I recommend
that you install the fluid-soundfont-gm package (Debian and Fedora both provide
it) and add /usr/share/soundfonts/FluidR3_GM.sf2 to the list (click on the "+"
button on the right to get a file browser window).

Then you should be good to go!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~

How I did it:

~# apt-get install audacious fluid-soundfont-gm fluid-soundfont-gs

Go to audacious settings and add the following soundfont files as per the
explanation above:

Add: /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2
Add: /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GS.sf2

That's all. Audacity should now be able to play midi files.

Note that I have installed both fluid-soundfont-gm and fluid-soundfont-gs, but
I believe "gm" supersedes "gs", so fluid-soundfont-gs is probably be redundant.

--
Abdullah Ramazanoğlu - İstanbul, Türkiye