Re: Slow writes to disk

On 11/3/18 4:58 AM, Michael Stone wrote:
On Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 07:27:41PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
3.  Download and run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility (Windows
may be required):

this is basically going to be the equivalent of smartctl -H,

As the tools are proprietary, figuring out what they actually do would be difficult. I must presume they are at least as good as smartctl.

If anyone encounters a drive the passes one but fails they other, please document and post.

no need to try to figure out how to run windows.

Bootable CD/USB diagnostics are convenient for general maintenance.

OS-based tools can provide additional features and optimizations for that specific OS.

4.  Most likely, the manufacturer diagnostic will say the drive is
good.  This means the the problem is software -- e.g. bugs,
misconfiguration, incompatible packages, cruft, gremlins, etc..  Find
a disk benchmarking tool.  I use dbench:

Running a full blown disk benchmark isn't going to add anything at this point.

A good benchmark will stress the drive, possibly causing messages to dmesg and/or /var/log/* that would be helpful for trouble shooting the "slow writes to disk".

David