Re: debian-9.5.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso missing files for install without mirror

dpchrist@holgerdanske.com wrote:
>debian-users:
>
>I downloaded debian-9.5.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso several months ago via:
>
>https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/jigdo-cd/

<snip> - image sounds ok.

<snip> - basic d-i setup

>It fails with a pop-up dialog:
>
>     	[!] Select and install software
>	Installation step failed
>	An installation step failed.  You can try to run the failing item again
>from the menu, or
>	skip it and choose something else. The failing step is: Select and
>install software
>
>Note that I did not select a mirror.
>
>Apparently, debian-9.5.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso is missing the packages
>required for a default installation (?).
>
>If I go back and use a network mirror (my local Approx server), I can
>finish the install successfully:
>
>Can anyone confirm this bug?

Yes. I've just tested it and I can see the same problem. By switching
to the syslog (VT4) I can see that there problem is with the mutt
package:

---
Nov  2 18:14:59 in-target: The following packages have unmet dependencies:
Nov  2 18:14:59 in-target:  mutt : Depends: libgpgme11 (>= 1.2.0) but it is not installable
Nov  2 18:14:59 in-target:         Depends: libnotmuch4 (>= 0.21~rc1) but it is not installable
Nov  2 18:14:59 in-target: E: in-target: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
---

There is a bug here, and I think it's possibly in tasksel. Mutt is not
on the installation CD, and neither are its dependencies libgpgme11
and libnotmuch4.

*However*, the installer has automatically added security.debian.org
to the sources.list of the new system and peformed an "apt-get
update". This found a security update for mutt, and mutt is Priority:
standard so tasksel decided it should be installed. But the
dependencies are not on security.debian.org and not on the CD -->
problem.

That's how this becomes a problem. For now, if you have security
updates installed then you'll need to enable a mirror or start with a
larger installation CD. Sorry... :-/

"Further comment on how I feel about IBM will appear once I've worked out
 whether they're being malicious or incompetent. Capital letters are forecast."
 Matthew Garrett, http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjg59/30675.html