Re: Online copies of textinfo content available?

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 08:57:50PM +0000, Brian wrote:
On Mon 29 Oct 2018 at 16:27:13 -0400, Michael Stone wrote:

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 10:20:30AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> What Brian asked for is an example of a man page that ends with
> "The full documentation for foo is maintained as a Texinfo manual"
> but the   info foo   output has no more information than   man foo.

This used to be more of a problem because dpkg provided an install-info that
couldn't parse the info header used in newer versions of texinfo.  This was
obviously a bug but hung around for a while before it was solved. E.g., in
etch the ls man page would point people to the ls info page, but since
install-info didn't parse the index properly, "info ls" couldn't find any ls
info and fell back to displaying the ls man page. It was possible to run
"info coreutils ls", and the coreutils man page tried that later on. This
failed in other cases, which led to the current (awkward) formulation in
which the ls man page references "info '(coreutils) ls invocation'".
Eventually, dpkg's install-info was replaced by the actual texinfo
install-info, so a simple "info ls" also works again.

TL;DR: man pages referencing info pages which are just man pages shouldn't
be a thing anymore.

Does 'info make' giving a man page fit your explanation?

No, that's a different case. make suggests, but does not require, make-doc. If you don't have make-doc installed, you won't get the info page. Splitting them is for practical reasons--because a lot more people have make installed as a dependency than actually write makefiles, and the info docs are actually larger than the entire make package--and policy reasons--the make docs have a non-free license. I will file a bug suggesting that the man page reference the online docs.

Mike Stone