Re: Online copies of textinfo content available?

On Mon 29 Oct 2018 at 17:39:13 (+1100), Erik Christiansen wrote:
> On 26.10.18 22:39, Brian wrote:
> > On Fri 26 Oct 2018 at 15:13:20 -0500, Dennis Wicks wrote:
> > > I agree, and I have found a lot of info "complete manual"s
> > > to be exactly like the man page!
> >
> > Please give an example.
>
> Anyone who has tried info a number of times, in the hope of finding a
> bit more information than the manpage provides, will have experienced
> the info fudge, I submit. Here's the first which I recalled:
>
> $ info xpdf

To be fair, the first line quoted here should be split in two and
commented on separately.

"I agree" was agreeing with the complaint of having to install extra
packages (though it wasn't made clear whether this was just info/pinfo
or foo-doc packages).

OTOH the second part, identical man and info pages, seems an
unjustifiable criticism to me. Why should info-preferers be deprived
of reading documentation in their format. The whole point of formats
like Texinfo is that they can generate several formats from a single
master document.

What Brian asked for is an example of a man page that ends with
"The full documentation for foo is maintained as a Texinfo manual"
but the   info foo   output has no more information than   man foo.
If you are determined to find such an example,
$ zgrep 'maintained as a' /usr/share/man/man[0-9]/*z | less
might be a good place to start hunting.

Cheers,
David.