Re: Online copies of textinfo content available?

Richard Owlett wrote on 10/26/18 9:41 AM:
> Many man pages end with:
>> The full documentation for Ed is maintained as a Texinfo
>> manual. If the info > and XYZ programs are properly
>> installed at your site, the command
>>
>>     info XYZ
>>
>> should give you access to the complete manual.
>
> I have problems with that.
> 1. I don't want to install unneeded packages just to find
> out whether or
>    not the package might be useful.
> 2. The info output has an annoying format. A browser
> acceptable format
>    {plain text fine --  HTML *NOT* needed} is MUCH more
> functional.

I agree, and I have found a lot of info "complete manual"s
to be exactly like the man page!

Another thing you can try is

	sudo apt show XYZ

That will give you a bunch of info including a few lines of
description. Usually enough to decide whether to pursue that
package further.

Good Luck!