Re: what is sitting on USB device?

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 12:51 PM Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:

> On 2018-10-23, Mark Copper <mcopper@straitcity.com> wrote:
> >
> > yes, there is a gnome environment variable that can stifle the gvfs
> > monitors and I have done that. Nor do I see any trace of the modules
> > mentioned in the error message.
>
> I didn't know that you had done that.
>
> > so I thought I'd try to go back to first principles and ask how one
> > might discover what is already using the device.
> >

> If 'mount' is too confused, you might try 'lsblk'.
>
> --
> "Now she understood that Anna could not have been in lilac, and that her charm
> was just that she always stood out against her attire, that her dress could
> never be noticeable on her." Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

I haven't sorted all this out, but here are a couple things, probably
not said correctly:

Using MTP, "media transfer protocol", to access the camera, Chromium
OS never actually mounts the external device on the file system.

On boot Chromium OS launches an MTP daemon which claims the camera
when plugged in. By disabling this daemon, gphoto2 in Debian inside
Crouton chroot can access the camera. Whew!