Re: what is sitting on USB device?

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 11:03:05 -0500
Mark Copper <mcopper@straitcity.com> wrote:

> Trying to connect to a device, I get this error message:
>
> *** Error ***
> An error occurred in the io-library ('Could not claim the USB
> device'): Could not claim interface 0 (Device or resource busy). Make
> sure no other program (gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor) or kernel module
> (such as sdc2xx, stv680, spca50x) is using the device and you have
> read/write access to the device.
> *** Error (-53: 'Could not claim the USB device') ***
>
> On general Linux principles, how does one go about what is keeping the
> device busy? How does one distinguish between "busy" and a permissions
> problem?
>
> I can see that the system detects the device by, say, lsusb:
> bus 001 device 007 ... Nikon
>
> I haven't got anywhere with "lsof", but that at that point the
> specifics of this system may come into play (Debian 9 installed as a
> Crouton target on a chromebook).
>
> Any suggestions off-hand?

Use a usb card reader.

Linux has always had problems directly reading cameras.  Most times a
driver that comes on the camera's software CD needs to be installed. A
driver that does not exist for Linux.

I've shot professionally for years with various makes and models of
digital cameras, Nikon included, and have never had a problem with
mounting/reading the camera's card when using a dedicated card
reader. I only mount a camera when it's required like changing some
custom settings, etc.