Re: what is sitting on USB device?

On 2018-10-23, Mark Copper <mcopper@straitcity.com> wrote:
> Trying to connect to a device, I get this error message:
>
> *** Error ***
> An error occurred in the io-library ('Could not claim the USB
> device'): Could not claim interface 0 (Device or resource busy). Make
> sure no other program (gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor) or kernel module
> (such as sdc2xx, stv680, spca50x) is using the device and you have
> read/write access to the device.
> *** Error (-53: 'Could not claim the USB device') ***
>
> On general Linux principles, how does one go about what is keeping the
> device busy? How does one distinguish between "busy" and a permissions
> problem?

On the internets I glanced at a forum thread where someone opined that
'gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor' might get in the way of camera-like
thingamajiggers:

 ps aux | grep gphoto

to see whether this theory is viable or not (and if it is, you know, close or stop
or kill that gvfs puppy maybe).

--
"Now she understood that Anna could not have been in lilac, and that her charm
was just that she always stood out against her attire, that her dress could