Re: Advice on mailing list software -- special requirements

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 12:47:10 -0400
Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:

> On 10/24/18 6:45 AM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, October 24, 2018 12:32:15 AM Miles Fidelman wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, but you really need a PUBLIC static IP address, or things
> > > tend to
> >
> > > get hairy.  Dynamic DNS will help, but only to a point.  And, a
> > > lot of
> >
> > > ISPs really don't like it if you run servers at the edge.
> >
> > We are currently such a small group, I don't think it will be an
> > issue -- if that changes, we can change.
> >

> Which - DynDNS or ISP objections?
>
> The thing about dynamic DNS is that people cache DNS records - mail
> sent to the list WILL go to the wrong place on occasion.
>
> Re. ISP objections - those objections sometimes take the form of
> active measures that block various kinds of traffic.

Then they're not a proper ISP. I pay for an *Internet* connection, not
just the forwarding of a few ports that are convenient for the provider.

> > > Bummer.  But maybe another, larger, Linux user group might help
> > > you
> >
> > > out?  I expect there might be somebody on this list who might
> > > volunteer
> >
> > > (hint, hint).  Maybe somebody at a nearby university - I believe
> > > you
> >
> > > have a few of those in the Lehigh Valley :-)
> >
> > We've had somebody make such an offer, and we'll probably take them
> > up on it -- I sort of wanted to try to set up a small mail list on
> > one of my computers, as long as I didn't have to run a web server
> > or a *nix style MTA
> >
> Now that is kind of hard to do.  All the mailing list servers that
> I've worked with require a rather intimate interconnection with the
> MTA that processes mail.  And that's before you "wire in" anti-spam
> and anti-virus filters.  And, you'll need a webserver for access to
> various administrative functions, and archive access.  Depending on
> the list server, you might also require a dbms.  Setting up list
> services can be an entertaining and educational exercise (also
> frustrating), but it's not simple.  (Actually, the simplest approach
> is using an MTA and managing lists in the alias file.)

There's no technical problem to using a local MTA and your ISP's SMTP
server as a proxy.

--
Joe