Re: Advice on mailing list software -- special requirements

On 10/23/18 8:16 PM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 11:04:52 AM Miles Fidelman wrote:
Speaking from experience:  Running your own server is a bit of a pain -
to setup, and to administer,
Must be my day to reply to email messages ;-)  Yes, I've tried that before.

and it's best done on a server with a
static IP address, not on a desktop behind a NAT router.
My desktop has a static IP address, behind a NAT router.  (But it is an
address in one of the private ranges (192.168.n.n)

Yes, but you really need a PUBLIC static IP address, or things tend to get hairy.  Dynamic DNS will help, but only to a point.  And, a lot of ISPs really don't like it if you run servers at the edge.  If you really want to run a server on your desktop, you need an ISP that will sell you both a business grade line and a static IP address.

(Sympa is what
I recommend for those who want to run their own, by the way.)

For simple things, I hate to recommend it, but google groups is about as
free & easy as it gets.
I don't know why I didn't really think of that, but I guess the times I've
been involved with groups that used it, there were things I didn't like about
it, but I may look again.
Otherwise, I expect somebody in your membership might have a corporate
machine they'd host you on.
No, we're a small group, mostly retirees at this point (I think).  When I
asked at the last meeting, nobody had anything to offer.

Bummer.  But maybe another, larger, Linux user group might help you out?  I expect there might be somebody on this list who might volunteer (hint, hint).  Maybe somebody at a nearby university - I believe you have a few of those in the Lehigh Valley :-)

Best,

Miles

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra