Re: Advice on mailing list software -- special requirements

On 2018-10-24 17:47, Miles Fidelman wrote:

We've had somebody make such an offer, and we'll probably take them up on it -- I sort of wanted to try to set up a small mail list on one of my computers, as long as I didn't have to run a web server or a *nix style MTA

Now that is kind of hard to do.  All the mailing list servers that
I've worked with require a rather intimate interconnection with the
MTA that processes mail.  And that's before you "wire in" anti-spam
and anti-virus filters.  And, you'll need a webserver for access to
various administrative functions, and archive access.  Depending on
the list server, you might also require a dbms.  Setting up list
services can be an entertaining and educational exercise (also
frustrating), but it's not simple.  (Actually, the simplest approach
is using an MTA and managing lists in the alias file.)

It's not very PC but disqus seems to work

mick

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31