Re: ntp problem in broadcastclients

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 08:22:49AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I has this machine running ntp normally, and set to broadcast on the
> $local/24 network.

I've never used NTP in "broadcast" mode.

If it were me, I would simply use the normal configuration in which
each client system has the NTP server's hostname or IP address in
the /etc/ntp.conf file.  If it turns out this "broadcast" thing
is the problem, then I'm not the right person to help.

But...

> Any clues of what else to check/change?

Well, the obvious starting point would be "ntpq -p" on each system.
This is the new version of "ntptrace" which apparently has been
deprecated in order to make everyone's life harder.

In addition to that, check the logs.  If these are wheezy boxes (or
older) then you want /var/log/daemon.log*.  If they're systemd boxes,
then you want (as root) journalctl -u ntp.