Re: Advice on mailing list software -- special requirements

Speaking from experience:  Running your own server is a bit of a pain - to setup, and to administer, and it's best done on a server with a static IP address, not on a desktop behind a NAT router. (Sympa is what I recommend for those who want to run their own, by the way.)

For simple things, I hate to recommend it, but google groups is about as free & easy as it gets.

Otherwise, I expect somebody in your membership might have a corporate machine they'd host you on.

Miles Fidelman