pppd incomatible with libradcli4

Hello,

I'm trying to set up the VPN stack using xl2tpd/strongswan on recent Debian 9.5, and so far everything is working except radius authentication (I have a freeradius3 setup which is fully working, so I need to use it to authenticate users). Seems like pppd is totally incompatible with libradcli4: when I add

plugin radius.so
plugin radattr.so

into  the /etc/ppp/options.xl2tpd configuration file, pppd starts complaining about missing directives:

first, /etc/radiusclient/radiusclient.conf cannot be read. Okay, I don't know if it's right, but since radiusclient1 seems to be vanished completely, I can link /etc/radcli as /etc/radiusclient.

Then the following happens:

/etc/radiusclient/radiusclient.conf: mapfile not specified

 /etc/radiusclient/radiusclient.conf: seqfile not specified

These two can be easily (again, not sure if it' s the right way to fix it) by specifying the old seqfile/mapfile directives, but then I'm stuck at

rc_read_dictionary: invalid type on line 34 of dictionary /etc/radcli/dictionary

Seems like pppd and libradcli4 have totally different ideas about radius dictionnaries. How do you guys handle it ?

Thanks.

Eugene.